Please provide a valid email
Thank you! We will get back to you shortly!
Last Updated:- 2021-01-18
Child development is the growth and changes in a child both physically and mentally. It starts from the conception to an individual becoming an adult. Apart from physical growth, it also includes emo, social, and language development. The child is allowed to explore the world on his own. So that he can understand the world in his own way. Child development is influenced by genetic factors and whatever the child faces in his prenatal life. It also depends on environmental factors and a child’s ability to acquire knowledge.
Thus, child development is very important. Neurological research has proved that the early years play a very important role in child development.
Child early experiences of bond and affection with parents and families affect their future physical, cognitive, emotional, and social development. However and whatever the child is taught, it molds his shape for the future. Hence, adults should be very careful with their behavior and attitude infront of children.
Parents play a very important role in the development of a child. Parents' contribution is the major factor for the growth and development of a child. Parents should provide the right guidance to the child. So that they can build up a bright future. Children need their parents from time to time. Thus, the negligence of Parents may affect the development of a child.
The role of parents in child development is responsive, responsible, and never-ending. They act as a protector, guide, mentor, and decision-maker of a child. Positive parenting helps the child to be a better human. They will explore the world in a positive way from his early childhood days. Children observe their parents how they talk, interact with people. This will help them grab the attitude and communication skills of their parents. It teaches them a variety of good values. They develop team spirit and choosing the right friends.
Parents also contribute to the physical growth of a child. His daily diet and physical fitness should be properly checked. Monthly check-up to the doctor whether the child is growing in a proper way and time should be checked. The mental health of a child widely depends on parents and parenting style. The child must always be provided with a positive environment. Parents should provide adequate love, affection, and sufficient time for their children. The child must understand his religion, how to prat, how to respect, and value his elders. Parents must always nurture their children in a positive way. They must be encouraged to participate in small household chores. They must develop the habit of solving their own problems.
A good and responsible parent should look after the needs of the child They must be provided with all basic necessities and requirements of life. Parents must listen to the child, whenever they speak. This will make them feel important and will help them to gain confidence in communication They must be allowed to express their emotions, feelings. A parent should keep monitoring the development of his child on a regular basis. This will ensure that the child is on track as per his age. In case some loops have been detected, it can be rectified if earlier detection has been done. All children are unique in their journey of growth and development. They develop in their own way and at their own pace. But, yes, definitely under the guidance and supervision of their guardians.
Sometimes, problems in child development occur due to genetics, prenatal circumstances, or some medical factors. If any problem is detected, then a proper pediatrician, psychologist, or physiotherapist should be contacted immediately. Thus, it has been proved that parents play a very important role in developing a child. Parenting style affects the child to grow into adults and thus will contribute to making the future of the child bright. Some of the Parenting styles and how they affect a child are as follows:-
1. Authoritarian Parenting - It is a style of Parenting that denotes high demands and low responsiveness. Parents with Authoritarian style have high expectations from children and they nurture less. They tend to be very strict and give severe punishment to the child. The characteristics of Authoritarian Parenting are as follows:-
Thus, authoritarian parenting expects obedience, discipline from the child. This might lead to the aggressive behavior of a child outside his home. As the child is afraid of expressing his emotions at home. The child might lead to depression and anxiety. They might feel difficulties in social situations due to a lack of social competence.
2. Neglectful parenting – Neglectful parenting is also called uninvolved parenting. It means parents are not emotionally involved with the child. Though they are fulfilling all the requirements of the child. Still, they fail to give their time, recognition, value, love, and affection to the child. This generally happens due to the busy schedule of the parents, long distancing with the family. Sometimes parents themselves are so much wrapped in their own problems that they actually fail to see, how their child is getting neglected. Hence, they fail to provide emotional support to their children.
Neglecting Parenting also affects the development of a child in the following ways:-
• Children are often depressed as they do not get the love, time, and support of their parents.
• Children fail to express themselves emotionally. Hence, they feel lonely.
• They lack trust and don’t depend on others. As the binding between parents and children was never built.
• They tend to increase the risk of substance abuse.
Thus, due to a lack of emotional bonding and love. These children often fail to form attachments and relationships in their later life.
3. Indulgent Parenting – It is also known as permissive parenting. Here, the parents seem to have low demands from the child and give high responses. They tend to be very loving, yet set rules and for them. They prefer to be friendly with their child. They are usually warm and friendly in nature, loving caring towards their child. They do not expect anything from their child. Just want to be a good human being and hold some discipline and manners in life. Permissive parents are very nurturing towards their kids. They encourage them to take their own decisions. Sometimes, they prefer giving bribes to the child in the form of toys, gifts, or their favorite food. Just to make the child agree to some of their views. They prefer being a friend to the child rather than a parent.
Indulgent Parenting affect child development as follows:-
• It has often been found since the parents keep no expectations from the child. They fail to achieve something in life. The child develops a casual approach and does not perform well academically and in his career.
• The children often choose the wrong path due to excessive freedom provided by the parents. They often get addicted to drugs and alcohol.
• They fail to achieve more discipline and manners. As they have been brought up with excess freedom and a casual approach. They fail to manage their time and habits.
• They often show aggression and do not learn to deal with their emotions effectively.
4. Authoritative Parenting - Authoritative Parenting always gives priority to the child’s emotional needs. It is considered one of the best Parenting style. These parents are lovable, affectionate and always prefer listening to their child. They always encourage the child to be independent and they must set their own goals. The parents, warm the respect of their children by their behavior, understanding, and adjustments towards their child. The child learns positive discipline by himself and not by forcefully imposing. This style of Parenting builds a relationship and bond between the parents and the child.
Authoritative Parenting affect the growth and development of a child in the following ways:-
• The child tends to achieve higher grades in academics which will help him to achieve a bright future.
• The child develops self-esteem and self-confidence. They develop the ability to learn new things.
• The child develops effective social skills and builds good emotional control and regulations.
• The child exhibit less violence and have good Mental health.
Therefore parents play a very important role in building the future of their child. The behavioral issue of the parents, they affect the expected child outcomes. Parents thinking include the ability to take the perspective of the child. Parenting behavior indicates the emotional climate in which children and parents operate and thus, builds a healthy relationship.
Published By:- Teeny Beans